Conditions for exemption
In order to be eligible for exemption from import duties for your belongings you must have had a normal place of residence outside Aruba for at least 12 consecutive months before traveling to Aruba.
Your normal place of residence is the place where you stay 185 days per calendar year. Your request for exemption must be requested at the Technical Department of the Customs Department (Departamento di Aduana). If you meet the requirements you will obtain exemption through a decision of the Inspector.
Conditions for exemption from import duties
The exemption granted for personal goods is subject to the following conditions:
- you must have used the goods in your former country of residence
- you are going to use the goods with the same goal/purpose in Aruba as in your former country of residence
- you had the goods in use, in accordance with the applicable conditions in your former country of residence
- you and your family members are not residents of Aruba at the time of the requested exemption
Motor Vehicles, airplanes and pleasure vessels
There are additional terms and conditions for motor vehicles, airplanes and vessels that are part of your personal belongings. You should be able to demonstrate that the above mentioned personal belongings have been in your possession and property and have been used in your former country of residence for the period of at least 6 months before you changed from your former country of residence to country of residence Aruba.
You can prove this by presenting a:
- foreign registration certificate of your motor vehicle or vessel
- a foreign inspection card
- a foreign insurance policy
- purchase-agreement or invoice
After you have entered your vehicle or vessel in Aruba, you need to register this at the Custom Department (Departamento di Aduana).
Upon your arrival at Aruba you need to present the following documents for your cats and dogs,
at the Custom Department (Departamento di Aduana):
- a health certificate not older than 3 weeks
- a valid proof of vaccination against rabies of at least 1 month but not more than 1 year before the date of import in Aruba
Although imports of dogs and cats coming from South and Central America is prohibited, an exception solely used for household effects can be made, if a statement of no objection by the Veterinary Service shall be issued.
Other and protected species
For imports of all other and protected species you can contact the Veterinary Service of Aruba.
Please note that for protected species the valid CITES statements is necessary.
Goods which are excluded from exemption are:
- alcoholic products
- tobacco and tobacco products
- commercial vehicles
- equipment for business purposes with the exception of portable instruments of the applied arts and crafts